Upshi Kharu River Expedition is one of the finest river expedition routes in Leh and Ladakh.
Upshi Kharu River Expedition route is fairly long as compared to the Phey-Nimo. Although the expedition is not very difficult, it comprises of I and II rapids, a few grade III rapids as well.
The start point of the rafting trip is Upshi. It is about 90 km south east of Leh, along the road which leads south to Manali. From Upshi, the river paves its way westwards to Kharu, along the road to Leh. This route passes through quiet, calm waters, and the riverside villages.
How to get there
By Air: Indian Airlines and Jet Airways have regular flights to and fro Leh. Leh airport is linked with important cities like Delhi, Srinagar and Chandigarh.
By Road: Regular state transport bus services run between Srinagar and Leh and Manali and Leh. If you do not prefer traveling by bus, the alternative available is a jeep.
By Rail: Jammu is the closest railway station and is 734 km from Leh. Buses take two days to reach Leh.
Best time to visit: June to September
- Permissions are needed for river rafting in some areas.
- Areas such as Nubra, Sikkim, Lahaul and Spiti may be off-limits to foreigners without a valid permit. (Close to Indias borders)
- Make sure that, youve got all the necessary permits which are required.
Things to Carry
- Carry dry bags or boxes to secure small personal items.
- Keep extra pairs of clothes.
- Take necessary medications such as inhalers, bee-sting kits, insulin etc.
- Avoid taking your car keys, wallets, cell phones etc. with you for the rafting trip.
- Also take along sunscreen, sunglasses, and a camera.