This rafting trip takes the rafters to the next level. The white water consistency of Brahmaputra, the Sutlej, the Bhagirathi, the Alsek, the Futaleufu and the Zambezi gives the rafters immense opportunities for great rafting experiences. Rafting expedition commences with three days devoted to the 35 km section from Mori till Tiuni, where the Pabbar River meets the Tons.
Rafting days are mingled with running several continuous Class 4+ rapids in a day and camping near alpine meadows. This is a great mixture of high adrenaline rafting and soothing camping in very scenic surroundings. Below Tiuni, the Tons become even more voluminous as the Pabbar River merges in. As you move down the river, you will meet the hot part of the valley with splendid whitewater. Enter into a gorgeous gorge. Raft till Icchari, you will find the dam on the river.
This expedition aims in raising the adventure bar a bit promising adrenaline highs and one of the finest whitewater experiences in the world today. River rafting in Tonnage River is followed by brief hiking into the highland woods and camping out in nearby areas.
How to get there
By Air: The nearest airport is Jolly Grant, situated at a distance of about 24 km from the main Rishikesh town. Air is not the preferred mode of transport for getting into the town.
By Road: Road network is well connected to all major towns of Uttaranchal and surrounding areas.
By Rail: Rishikesh is linked to all the major towns and cities of India. Some of the links are accessible only from Haridwar.
Best time to visit: From April to June.
- This rafting expedition is for seasoned rafters. Amateurs should raft on easy waters before taking this challenging plunge.
- Rapids from III to Class IV, some Vs as well.
- Put on a life jacket and helmet, get familiar with rafting gears.
- When you are on the rafting trip, dont bring your car keys, wallets, cell phones etc.
- Learn some basic rafting training at Rafting institutes.
- Do not pollute the water by using detergents and leaving plastic bags.
- Rafting is not for the persons, who are diabetic, suffering from high blood pressure or any other serious ailments or pregnant women.
Things to Carry
- Take medications such as inhalers, bee-sting kits, insulin and first aid box etc.
- Carry extra pair of clothes and sunglasses.
- Bring dry bags or boxes to secure small personal items.
- Wool, polyester, nylon and synthetic materials will keep you warmer and will dry faster than cotton in winters. Avoid cotton clothing while rafting except summer.
Other Attractions in the Vicinity
Haridwar: The gateway to God, Haridwar is the famous destination where many pilgrims visit this holy place. An ever enlivening place to rejuvenate, Haridwar is blessed by Lords Brahma Vishnu and Mahesh. The main attraction of this place is Kumbh Mela.
Dehradun: Dehradun is placed in the foothills of Himalaya. It is one of the most picturesque hill stations of India.