Sydney Weather in May
- May is a great month to visit Sydney, Australia as the weather is usually warm and sunny, with temperatures averaging 23 degrees Celsius.
- On average it rains around 7 days in the month of May which means that you can expect some rain showers throughout the month, but overall, May is a lovely time to visit Sydney. There are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy, such as swimming, surfing, and picnicking in the parks during your May visits.
- Pack your sunscreen and swimsuit if you're planning a trip to Sydney in May!
Why Visit Sydney in May?
- May is the start of autumn in Sydney, and the temperatures are mild and comfortable. This is the perfect time to explore all of the outdoor attractions that the city has to offer.
- In May, the days are still long and sunny, but there is a hint of cooler evenings as winter approaches which makes it the perfect time to enjoy all of Sydney's nightlife and dining options.
- You can roam around different gardens and parks of Sydney during the month of May such as The Royal Botanic Garden as visiting this garden is one of the best things to do in Sydney in May.
What to Pack for Visiting Sydney in May?
- Pack plenty of sunscreen and hats to protect yourself from the sun. May is typically a warm month in Sydney, so you'll want to be prepared.
- Pack comfortable shoes as you'll likely be doing a lot of walking. With so much to see and do in Sydney, you'll want to be able to explore as much as possible and it will be possible only with a pair of comfortable shoes.
- Pack your swimsuit if you want to dip on Sydney's many beaches.
- Don't forget to pack your camera! With its stunning harbour and beautiful beaches, there will be plenty of photo ops during your visit.
Things to Do in Sydney in May
Activity Location: Bennelong Point, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
Activity Timings: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Activity Duration: 1 hour (approx.)
About Sydney Opera House Tour:
Unlock the secrets of the Sydney Opera House with a captivating guided tour. Explore the iconic building that hosts over 1800 performances annually and is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Led by an expert guide, delve into the history, anecdotes, and magic of this architectural marvel. Learn about the future of this renowned hall through immersive digital exhibits. Marvel at panoramic views of Sydney Harbour from within the Opera House. Book the Sydney Opera House Guided Tour package and have a fun-filled family experience.
Taronga Zoo Location: Taronga Zoo, Bradleys Head Road, Mosman, NSW
Opening Hours: 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Activity Duration: 3-5 Hours
About Taronga Zoo:
Take a tour of the wonderful Taronga zoo and be ready to witness the amazing 350 species of animals. Here, you will get a chance to watch the amazing fauna of the zoo also with access to limited keeper talks, presentations, and access to the Sky Safari cable car. So, Book Taronga Zoo Tickets and see more than 5,000 wild animals living in their natural habitat.
- Aquarium Wharf, Darling Harbour, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
- Wharf 6, Circular Quay, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
Departure Time Slots:
- Darling Harbour: 10:15 AM, 12:20 PM, 2:00 PM, 3:35 PM
- Circular Quay: 10:32 AM, 12:37 PM, 14:17 PM, 15:52 PM
Sydney Harbour Cruise Duration:
- Darling Harbour: 90 minutes
- Circular Quay: 60 minutes
About Sydney Harbour Cruise:
Do you wish to go on a cruise in Sydney and capture the views of the Harbour Bridge? Explore the best of the Sydney waterfront on a relaxing 60-90 minutes cruise. See the most famous tourist attractions alongside Sydney Harbour from an open deck. Learn more about the city, its harbors, and beaches from the informative crew and live commentary.
Activity Location: Madame Tussauds, Wheat Road, Sydney NSW
Activity Timings: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Last Admission: 4:00 PM
- Note: Timings vary from season to season, please check the website calendar before your visit.
Activity Duration: 3 Hours (Approx.)
- Note: Once you enter the museum, you can stay for as long as you wish.
About Madame Tussauds Sydney:
With lifelike figures and interactivity at every turn, Madame Tussauds Sydney allows you to walk the red carpet and experience the glittering world of fame. See wax figures of world leaders, sports heroes, movie & music stars. Try posing with Barack Obama or sitting with Queen Elizabeth II. You can also keep a look out for lifelike wax figures of movie stars such as Hugh Jackman and Chris Hemsworth. Australia's beloved icons like Ned Kelly, Kylie Minogue and Steve Irwin's wax statues are also on display. Pose and capture unique pictures with wax statues of your favorite celebs at Madame Tussauds Sydney, one of the most famous attractions in the city.
Meeting Location: Hop on at any of the stops along the routes:
- Sydney Harbour Bridge
- Sydney Opera House
- Circular Quay
- Darling Harbour
- Kings Cross
- Bondi Beach
- The Rocks
Operating Timings: 9:30 AM - 2:45 PM
Access Validity: 1-2 Days
About Hop on Hop off in Sydney:
Head off to an exciting tour around Sydney with unlimited access to the Hop-on Hop-off busses on 2 different routes: Sydney and Bondi. Both these itineraries offer unmissable views of the city’s main attractions along with pre-recorded commentary in 8 languages. Book this Big Bus open-top Hop-on Hop-off tour ticket and experience the best of Sydney with your loved ones.
Have a Laugh at Sydney Comedy Festival
- The Sydney Comedy Festival is a must-see event for anyone visiting Sydney in May as tickets are very affordable, and there's even a kids' zone where families can enjoy some laughs together.
- With heaps of local and international comedians performing, there's sure to be something for everyone.
- The event features some of the best comedians from Australia and worldwide and is a great way to enjoy a night out with friends.
- There is plenty of time to see the different acts as this festival spans for a few days.
Location: Venues have included State Theatre, Enmore Theatre, The Concourse, and Riverside.
Timings: 10 am to 8 pm (on an average)
Date: From 25 April to 22 May.
Checkout The Africultures Festival
- The Africultures Festival is a beautiful cultural event to visit if you're in Sydney in May.
- The festival celebrates African culture and features many different activities and performances.
- You can learn about African history, watch traditional dances, and listen to African music. There are also food and drink vendors so that you can try some African cuisine.
- There are also family-friendly events like storytelling sessions and art workshops for children.
- There is also a children's area with pony rides and games, as well as a free exhibition on the history of slavery in Australia.
Location: Sydney Olympic Park
Timings: 10 am to 6 pm
Date: This event will take place on 7 May.
Discover New Tastes at The Pyrmont Food And Wine Festival
- At this annual event, you'll be able to sample the wares of different vendors, ranging from delicious food trucks to top-notch wineries.
- There's something for everyone at this festival, so come hungry and ready to discover some new favourite flavours.
- The Pyrmont food and wine festival will offer a selection of local and international wines, beers, ciders, spirits, and food.
- The festival will also have live music and entertainment which is a great way to spend a day or evening in Sydney.
Location: Pirrama Park, Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont.
Timings: 11 am to 5 pm.
Date: This event takes place between 28 May and 18 June.
Attend Parramatta Heritage Festival
- One of the best things to do in Sydney in May is to attend the Parramatta Heritage Festival as it provides a great opportunity to explore the unique history of the area.
- Learn about Parramatta's rich culture by witnessing plenty of activities and events that you can enjoy here.
- You can learn about the area's Aboriginal heritage, explore the local history, and see some of the city's most important landmarks.
- There are paintings, sculptures, pottery, jewellery, and more. Some of the art was created by local artists, while others were donated by private collectors.
Location: 346A Church Street, Parramatta
Timings: 10:00 am until 02:00 pm.
Sydney Bridge Climb
- Climbing the Sydney Bridge Climb is considered one of the most exciting things to do in Sydney in May.
- You'll get breathtaking views of the city and harbour, and it's a great way to get some fresh air and exercise.
- It provides a fantastic view of the city from the top of the bridge, and it's a great way to get some exercise.
- You can take two different routes, both of which take about three hours to complete.
- You can choose the one that best suits your fitness level and you can book the tour in advance and wear comfortable shoes. And don't worry, you'll be safely harnessed the whole time.
Location: 3 Cumberland St, The Rocks NSW 2000, Australia.
Witness Sydney Writers' Festival
- The Sydney Writers' Festival is one of the most significant events on Australia's literary calendar.
- Every year, some of the world's most celebrated authors, poets, and thinkers come to Sydney to discuss their work and ideas with fans and fellow writers.
- You can hear from leading local and international authors like Margaret Atwood, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Michael Chabon, and many more.
- There are also plenty of events for kids and families, including storytime sessions, writing workshops, and readings by popular children's authors.
Timings: 9.30 am- 10 pm
Date: This festival runs from May 16-22 and features more than 400 events across Sydney.
Spark Your Sense of Art at Vivid Festival
- Sydney's Vivid Festival is also one of the most popular things to do in Sydney in May. The city will be ablaze with incredible light displays, projections, and installations.
- This year's theme is "The Future", so you can expect some mind-bending displays that inspire and awestruck.
- For three weeks, Sydney is transformed into an outdoor gallery, with incredible light displays and installations all over town.
- Whether you're wandering the festival day or night, there's no better way to get into the festive spirit than by marvelling at the creativity on display.
Location: Museum of Contemporary Art Australia.
Timings: 6pm - 11pm.
Date: From May 27-June 18.
Embrace Sydney's Nightlife at YCK Intersections
- YCK Intersections is a nightlife event that celebrates Sydney's diversity.
- It's held every Thursday night at The Globe in Darlinghurst and features a different line-up of DJs, live music, and interactive art each week.
- Live music venues like The Basement and The Metro offer up all sorts of genres, from indie rock to blues. Food and drink are also available so you can refuel while you party.
Locations: York Street, ClarenceStreet, and Kent Street.
Timings: 6-10 pm
Date: From 22 to 28 May