What are the “Southern Lights”?
These behold the same extravagance as the northern lights although these are lesser known among the people. As one can understand it with the name itself, these can be seen only in the southern atmosphere. The chances of getting the sight of these spectacular lights increases as further south you move.
You May Also Like: Best Hiking Destinations in Australia
Best Time of Year to See the Southern Lights in Australia
- March to May: The sky is clear most of the days and there are more chances of getting clear views of southern lights
- Early September and November: Aurora activity is one peak during this time as the position of earth enhances the more particles to come in contact with earth atmosphere thus causing auroras.
- June to August: This is the most ideal time to get views of Southern lights as it is the winter season in Australia and the nights are longer.
Must Read: Best Beaches in Australia
Conditions to Witness Southern lights
- Tasmania: Since this location is seated on the southernmost state in Australia, it is one of the best places to see southern lights in Australia throughout the year.
- Victoria: Situated in Southeast Australia, this place is the second best location to spot southern lights that covers hundreds of miles of southern views.
- Phillip Island: With great spots that are fused with clean air, Phillip Island offers clear sky to see the aurora.
- Point Lonsdale: This spot offers a darker sky to spot southern lights easily away from the city lights.
Learn More: Best Historical Places in Australia
What causes Southern Lights?
Their graceful smooth movement in the polar skies light up the whole atmosphere thus giving rise to one of the most beautiful natural phenomena that can be seen by anyone.
You May Also Like: Popular Places to Go in Australia at Christmas
How Can I Photograph the Sourthern Lights?
- Shutter speed should be set to the fastest option, F-stop low (3-5) and your ISO no higher than 800.
- An extra battery is a must to carry as you may not know in advance how much time it will take to appear in the sky.
- With all the equipment and settings done, be patient and start shooting the sky.
- Once the lights start appearing your camera will capture all the extravagance of the dancing lights in your camera.
Also Checkout: Most Unusual Places in Australia
Unknown Facts about Southern Lights
- These lights also appear on other planets in our solar system like Neptune, Mars, Uranus and more.
- As per old folktales, southern lights sometimes create faint noises like that of a clap, crackle or static on rare occasions. It was later found out to be true when clapping sounds were recorded during an - aurora display during a recent scientific research.
- The word Aurora used to name the lights means sunrise or the Roman goddess of dawn in Latin.
Also Checkout: Amazing Mountains in Australia
Places to see Southern Lights in Australia
Mount Wellington, Tasmania
Do check the weather reports for heavy snow as the roads are already narrow and excessive snow can block the roads.
Suggested Read: Popular Waterfalls in Australia
South Arm Peninsula, Tasmania
With exotic views of the polar south, Tasmania Aurora lights can be seen easily from this location. Calvert's beach will offer you a spot to witness the southern views much similar to that you get from a cliff in South arm. Walk along the water’s edge to the northern part of the beach from where better views of the Southern lights can be sighted.
Explore Now : Best Museums in Australia
Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park, Tasmania
Also Checkout: Most Haunted Places in Australia
Bruny & Satellite Islands, Tasmania
Just off the Coast of Bruny Island, Satellite Island is also an excellent place for stargazing and witnessing southern lights. Reside in a luxurious stay and gear up to watch aurora lights.
Recommended Read: Discover Australia in Winter
When the Southern lights are witnessed from this location, the sky explodes in the shades of red, purple, and purple. Pull up a chair on one of the beaches here, watch the dazzling flashes of various extravagant hues dancing in the sky.
Must Know: Amazing Things to Do in Australia in February
One can explore other attractions during the day to kill their time at the Phillip Island like koala conservation center, Bass Strait beaches, Phillip Island Nature Park, Churchill Island Marine National Park and others. As the night approaches, gear up yourself with your camera to get ready to witness the Southern lights in Australia.
You May Also Like: Best Road Trips in Australia
Since it is seated on the southernmost tip of Australia, the ideal stretch of coastline offers a serene platform to set up your camera and wait patiently for the southern lights to flash in the sky.
Also Checkout: Best Beaches Near Melbourne
Freycinet National Parkand
In many cases the color may not be vibrant but with experiences of people, purple hues often flash in the sky tinting the sky that are not visible to the naked eye but are captured well in the camera.
Do Read: Amazing Monuments in Australia
Head out to this location where you can spend your day enjoying various outdoor activities and witnessing extravagant wildlife. As the night reaches its charm, dark skies become a perfect canvas to witness the aurora lights. Keep in mind to head out on a clear night that beholds greatest chances to sight Southern Lights.
Suggested Read: Famous Islands in Australia