- Famously known for being the birthplace of legendary musician Mozart, Salzburg is among the best Vienna day trips.
- It offers picturesque scenery with mountain tops peering in the backdrop that are a treat to the eyes.
- There are tons of elegant buildings that display the beautiful European architecture housing tales of the medieval era.
- It takes about 2 to 2.5 hours by train from Vienna to reach Salzburg which makes it a perfect destination for a day trip activity.
- You can check out the UNESCO-listed Old Town, Salzburg Cathedral, Hohensalzburg Castle, and more on your day tour to Salzburg.
The Wachau Valley And Melk Abbey
- Explore the quaint villages and widespread vineyards in Wachau Valley on your days trips from Vienna.
- Located about an hour’s drive away, Wachau Valley and Melk Abbey make for one of the best day trips from Vienna.
- Wachau Valley is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that comprises some of the most awe-inspiring natural scenery.
- Melk Abbey is no exception with its gorgeous museums, Baroque churches, lush green gardens, and architectural marvels.
- You can easily spend a whole day discovering all the major attraction points and take guided tours to learn as much as possible about these two beautiful towns.
- Be prepared to be captivated by the striking beauty of Graz, the second-largest city in Austria.
- Graz is a must-visit for all art lovers as it is known for its vibrant art scene and exhibitions.
- It is an easy ride that takes about 2 to 2.5 hours and is popular among Vienna Day trips.
- Also known for being the birthplace of famous Hollywood star, Arnold Schwarzenneger, the city even has a museum dedicated to the actor.
- From UNESCO-listed Old Town to art museums and cathedrals, there’s no dearth of exciting places to explore in Graz.
- Discover popular attractions such as Bratislava Castle, Old Town hall, Bratislava city museum, and more on days trips from Vienna.
- The capital city of Slovakia is less than an hour’s ride away via train from Vienna.
- It is a great place, especially for budget travelers as the city is comparatively a lot more fun and affordable than Vienna.
- One of the top attractions in Bratislava includes a tour of the Grassalkovich Palace which is used as a residence by the President of Slovakia.
- Spend the rest of the day exploring cafes, restaurants, and local shops with your family.
- Situated less than an hour’s ride away from Vienna, the Klosterneuburg Abbey is a 12th-century Augustinian monastery located in Klosterneuburg, Austria.
- The monastery was founded by Saint Leopold III of Babenberg and his wife Agnes in 1114.
- The castle tower and the Gothic chapel were built during the 12th century while the church complex was remodeled in the 17th century.
- Church’s Baroque style architecture is its main attraction which stands out from the rest of the buildings in the complex.
- You will also come across other elements such as the Marble Hall, the Monastery Museum, the Treasury Room, and more.
The Roman Town Of Carnuntum
- A visit to the intriguing Roman Town of Carnuntum is among the best days trips from Vienna which is hardly half an hour's ride away by road.
- Considered the most important region of the Roman Empire from the 1st century to the 4th century, the Carnuntum town is a historic relic.
- It served as a battleground for countries such as France, Hungary, Turkey, etc.
- Presently, the town is a part of the Archaeological Park Carnuntum featuring reconstructed buildings, houses, Roman baths, etc. from the 1st century.
- It is a great family-friendly location and is known as a must-visit historic attraction for all.
- Known as Neusiedler See in German, Lake Neusiedl is the second-largest lake in Europe.
- It takes about an hour by train from Vienna to reach Lake Neusiedl.
- If you love bird watching and relaxing by a lake with a view, then this is one of the best day trips from Vienna that offers that.
- The lake is flushed with people during the summer months who come to swim, sail, and surf on the lake.
- It is a great area for relaxing long walks or cycling on the biking route offering spectacular views filled with natural beauty all around.
- Embark on an adventure to the forested highlands of Vienna Woods situated just about 50 km from Vienna.
- It is one of the most loved Vienna day trips among hikers and nature lovers.
- The region is packed with stunning medieval castles, churches, and abundant forest greenery.
- The famous Kahlenberg mountain which sits at a height of approximately 484 meters from the ground offers breathtaking panoramic views of the Danube Valley along with the Schneeberg region.
- Vienna Woods is a great option for a quick day trip if you want to get away from the city noise and go hiking.
- A one-hour drive by car and just over an hour’s ride via train, Danube Valley is certainly one of the popular Vienna day trips to embark on.
- Witness the spectacular countryside views of Austria on your way to the Danube Valley from Vienna.
- The famous valley is situated in Wachau which is another one of UNESCO’s heritage sites known for its abundant natural and cultural beauty.
- Catch glimpses of the large vineyards, forest slopes, river stretch, and a lot more natural treasures on your days trips from Vienna.
- Hire a local guide to learn more about the area’s history and its rich culture.
- Take an exciting day trip to the Hungarian city of Sopron from Vienna located about 60 km from the city.
- Its famous World Heritage town of Ferto is especially known for its traditional architecture, wine culture, national monuments, and natural beauty.
- Indulge in some delicious Hungarian delicacies at local cafes and street food stalls on your visit.
- Explore the quaint villages and their local culture which will offer something different from the metropolis of Vienna.
- The city of Sopron is also known as one of the most romantic cities with its beautiful streets and colorful houses that liven the atmosphere.