About Rose Garden
Spread in an enormous 4 acres of Land the transfixing Rose Garden is a delicately instrumented estate encapsulated with bewitching landscapes, lush green tropics, a spread of varied flowers and much more. Divided into 5 terrace structures, the garden homes one of the greatest collections of Rose species including miniature rose, hybrid tea rose, ramblers, and floribunda.
The site of these roses are a delight to witness and can simply be counted as once in a lifetime experience. Visitors from across the county visit the Garden and it is said to be amongst the most popular tourist spots in all of Ooty. The Rose Garden is found at an incline on the hills of Elk which adds to the shimmering beauty of the place and helps visitors with an extravagant view.
The tourists, as well as localites, enjoy a number of activities here in the garden. From a relaxing picnic with the family, photography in the alluring gardens, there is a lot to do at the Garden. What entices the travelers even more towards the garden is it’s well-maintained ambiance. Clean, loiter free and serene, the garden comes off as a breathe of fresh air away from the clustered city life.
All in all, if you are looking for a new place to discover this weekend or you are a tourist visiting Ooty for the first time, visiting the enthric Rose Garden has to be on your bucket list. Don’t forget to charge your camera because you will be clicking tens of candids.
How to Reach Rose Garden
There are a number of ways visitors can travel from Rose Garden to the City Center. The distance between these two destinations is around 17 Km and the most cost-effective means of transport is using the local bus service. The nearest bus stop from City Center is Filmistan. There are frequent buses from here to Milap Talkies. After travelers get down here there is a 1km walk to Rose Garden. The journey can take up to 40 minutes.
Visitors can also book a local taxi service from City Center. This is a much faster way to reach the Rose Garden. There are cab services also available that deliver a more luxurious transportation option. But if you are on a budget the best way to travel is my bus and even shared a cab. But, if you are with family it is better for you to book a private cab and travel comfortably from City Center to Rose Garden.
Best Time to Visit Rose Garden
Although the gates of the Government Rose Garden are open throughout the year, the best time to visit the place is between the months of March and June. The temperatures, humidity, and atmospheric conditions in Ooty during this time allows roses to blossom. Hence, visitors will be able to enjoy a rich collection of roses and tropics in the garden around this time. However, travelers who relish the winter season can also visit the place between November and January. Although during these months, the collection of roses at the garden is not at it's primal, the garden itself looks distinct.
What Not to Miss at Rose Garden
Attractions near Rose Garden
From ancient structure to peaceful temples, the Rose Garden is surrounded by a variety of tourist attractions.
1. Stone House: The mesmerizing bungalow house established in the Government Art College carries an insightful rich past that attracts visitors from across the country. The Stone House is also said to be one of the first buildings to be ever created in Ooty. Marked as the beginning of modification in the city, the Stone House is encapsulated with a wealthy history, alluring gardens, and lush green landscapes.
2. Catherine Water Falls: A double - cascading waterfall, the Catherine Waterfalls provide the perfect spot for visitors to relish a relaxing time amidst nature. Catherine Water Falls is also the second-largest fall in the Nilgiri Mountain and the site of the fall is truly a splendor. Visitors can also enjoy a good dip in the cold river waters of the fall. All in all, the Catherine Waterfall is definitely a great weekend getaway location.
3. Government Botanic Garden: Carrying a collection of more than 3000 roses, picturesque landscapes and a varied species of the tropics, the Government Botanic Garden is a delight of nature and visitors visit here to enjoy a number of activities. From photography to a family picnic and early morning walks, the gorgeous garden allows travelers to relish many activities. Additionally, the garden is very well maintained and is perfectly designed for visitors. So, if you love nature and would like to get away from the hustle-bustle of daily life, the Government Botanic Garden is the place for you.
4. Elk Hill Murugan Temple: Holding a grand statue of Lord Murugan, the Elk Hill Murugan Temple is a celebrated holy place. The place is encapsulated with a dense selection of tropics delivering a picturesque view of the landscapes. A peaceful place to relax, rejoice and pray in solace, if you are in Ooty, you have to visit Elk Hill Murugan Temple.
Other Essential Information About Rose Garden
Location: Government Rose Garden, Horticulture House, Elk Hill Rd, Bombay Castle, Ooty, Tamil Nadu 643001.
Timings: 7:30 AM - 6:30 PM, Everyday
Entry Fee: INR 30 for adults, INR 15 for children below the age of 10 years.
Distance from City Centre: 17 KM
Places to Eat near Rose Garden
From healthy breakfast to an appetizing dinner, you can enjoy a buffet of delicious dishes near Rose Garden.
1. Fortune Resort Sullivan Court: Open 24 hours a day, the Fortune Resort Sullivan Court restaurant is acknowledged for its great collection of Indian, Chinese and Continental dishes. A treat for night owls, the place is perfect for late-night cravings. Additionally, the restaurant provides a luxurious dining experience and also has a very efficient staff.
2. Angaara: With outdoor seating and a cozy atmosphere, Angaara restaurant is best known for it's incredibly delicious Indian cuisine. Serving both veg and non veg options, visitors can rely on having a great time here. Best for large groups of friends and family, the place is perfect for a wholesome meal. Angaara is open between 11:30 AM and 11:00 PM all-day which allows visitors to enjoy both lunch and a late dinner here.
3. Hotel Rahmaniya Calicut: Delivering the authentic taste of Ooty through it's scrumptious dishes, Hotel Rahmaniya Calicut is specifically known for its a widespread of non veg options. A nice place for kids and families, the restaurant opens as early as 7:00 AM and closes at 10:00 PM which means visitors can easily grab a delicious breakfast before beginning their tour and end it with a flavorful dinner at the hotel.
Facts about the Rose Garden
1. The Rose Garden is a government-owned property found on the mesmerizing hills of Elk, at about 2200 meters above sea level to be precise.
2. The garden stores a vast collection of Hybrid tea roses, Miniature Roses, Polyanthas, Papagena, Floribunda, Ramblers, Yakimour among other species of roses.
3. The place was founded by Vijayanagaram in May of 1995 and it is now maintained by Tamil Nadu Horticulture Department.
4. The exhibition of all the flowers is covered in a wide section of 5 different terraces.
5. The garden has the government of Tamil Nadu's symbol embedded in the grassland.
6. Among the many roses, the place also homes a species of rose named after the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, C.M J. Jayalalithaa.
7. The garden is able to find this vast collection of roses because of the unique atmospheric conditions Ooty has which are perfect for rose plantation.
8. The garden is spread across in an enormous 10 acres of land and holds more than 3000 species of roses in 20,000 in number.
9. The garden has also received a number of awards, one of which is the Garden of Excellence Award for existing as the best rose garden in all of Southern Asia. The award was presented by the World Federation of Rose Societies in Japan, in May of 2006.
Travelers' Tip before Visiting Rose Garden
There are some important tips you need to consider before you visit the enthralling Rose Garden.
1. There are more than 30,00 species of roses to explore at the garden, reach on time and try to spend as much time as possible exploring these flowers.
2. Don't forget to carry your camera, photography is allowed in the garden and you can spend as much time as you want to click the perfect candida here.
3. The place is best enjoyed with families and it also helps kids learn a lot of flowers.
4. The best time to visit the place is early morning as the place can fill up with visitors towards the end of the day.