The Deer Park in Ooty is a place which is one of its own kinds and known for being home to a vast number of deer. Located at Udhagamandalam town, the name of this itself explains very vividly that this place is a perfect location for the wildlife lovers who want to admire these innocent species.
This park was opened in 1986, and considered to be one of the must visit places in Ooty which is spread across an area of 22 acres. Located at one of the most easily accessible places of Ooty, the Deer Park can be visited just after taking a stroll by the Ooty Lake.
This park is surrounded by a vast variety of flora and fauna. The visitors can get a peek of various species of deer like the Sambar and Chital. Alongside that, there are hares and rabbits which can be spotted inside the park. Adding to this, the park is also home to a wide variety of birds.
This place is well-maintained and close to a numerous number of attractions in Ooty. There is much more to know about this park, which can be found in this handy guide which will help you explore it in a better way.According to the forest department officials, the park is decided to be turned into a rescue and rehabilitation centre to protect the endangered Nilgiri Tahr.
How To Reach
There are various modes of transportation which can be taken from the Ooty city centre to reach Deer Park. Some of the common ways to reach the park are:
By Bus: Ooty Main Bus Stand.
By Train: Nearest railway head is the Fernhill Railway Station.
People can also take an auto-rickshaw or taxi/ cab to reach Deer Park from Ooty city centre.
Best Time To Visit
Ooty has a pleasant climate throughout the year which makes it one of the preferred destinations to visit. However, the winters are colder than any other place in South India. So the best time to visit Deer Park is from October to June.
During this time the temperature is close to 25 degrees celsius which marks as a pleasant weather. This time of the year is considered to be the best for travelling and sightseeing. And alongside that, the nights are also considered to be quite comfortable. But otherwise, this place is an all year round location which can also be visited during the monsoon season as well.
Other Essential Information
- Location: Situated near the Ooty Lake, Ooty, Tamil Nadu
- Timings: 10 AM-5 PM
- Entry Fee: Call the place to ask the admission prices
- Photography Charges: Call the place to ask the admission prices- Distance From Ooty City Centre: 3.6 Kilometres.
Places To Eat Near Deer Park
1. Hotel Rahmaniya Calicut Ooty:
This place is known for its delicious Kethel Chicken Fry which is exclusive and a patented dish served here. One of the oldest hotels in Kerala, this place has completed around 60 years in this industry. To relish the taste of the delicious recipes of the home-style Kerala flavours, this hotel is considered to be one of the best places to eat near Deer Park.
-Timings: 7 AM-10 PM (Daily).
-Location: 67/55, Bekky road, Davisdale, Ooty, Tamil Nadu 643001.
2. Ascot Multi-Cuisine Restaurant: The Ascot Multi-Cuisine Restaurant is quite a fancy buffet dine-in space which is located at the Club Mahindra Derby Green. For the people who are looking out for a lavish meal experience at a budget price, this place is where they should head to. In addition to the multi-cuisine, there are other arrangements like Candlelight dinner and Barbeque which can be enjoyed while here.
-Timings: 7:30am-10:30pm (Daily)
-Location: Near Ooty Railway Station, 29-49 Baikey Road, Off Ettinnes Road, Ooty, Tamil Nadu 643001
3. Place To Bee: f you’re looking for something fascinating to experience while in Ooty, then this place will be your ultimate resort. Place To Bee is not just a restaurant but also famous for being a social enterprise. This place promotes the benefit of the Slow Food Principles which aligns with the Bee Museum.
-Timings: 12:30-3pm, 6:30-9:30pm (Daily), Tuesday (Closed)
-Location: 176/A, Club Rd, Near Hill Bunk, Ooty, Tamil Nadu 643001
Places To Stay Near Deer Park
1. FabHotel Reflections: Situated just in the vicinity of the Ooty Lake, FabHotel Reflections is a beautifully designed guest house in Ooty. Equipped with all the best facilities and other amenities, this hotel is quite a deal among the places to stay near Deer Park.
-Location: 1/B, N Lake Rd, Kathadimattam, Ooty, Tamil Nadu 643001
2. Bouganvilla: What is better than a relaxing vacation in the lap of nature? Bouganvilla is the place where one can experience just that. Located at the “Queen of Hills”, this property appears to be just mesmerizing. With the backdrop of the Nilgiris and the colonial-style bungalow architecture, this place has all the best facilities and luxury preserved well.
-Location: 262 A, Off Silverton Road, St Thomas Church Road, Udhagamandalam, Ooty, Tamil Nadu 643001
3. Kluney Manor: Kluney Manor is one of luxurious places to stay near Deer Park which is designed like a Victorian suite hotel. The fine interiors and comfortable rooms will definitely make you feel like home. Surrounded by the surreal neighbourhood and a panoramic view, this place is definitely the space for relaxation
Fern Hill, Ooty, Tamil Nadu 643001