About Emerald Lake
It is a bird watcher’s paradise, where you can spot them easily without having to wait for a long time. Emerald Lake is also popular for activities like mountain biking and trekking down the lakeside. Again, if you are not much of an adventure-seeker, you can fish by the lake or sit with your favorite book and read in peace.
How to Reach Emerald Lake
Credits: Sankara Subramanian
There is no bus route to connect to the city and therefore,you need to take a car to reach Emerald Lake from Ooty City Center. You will need to drive along Woodcock Road and subsequently, Lake Road to reach the lake in approx 40 minutes.
Best Time to Visit Emerald Lake
Credits: Ashwin Kumar
The best time to visit Emerald Lake is during the summer months from April-June and winters from September-November. Avoid visiting the lake during the monsoons, from June-September because the weather is challenging and you will have no fun around that time.
What Not to Miss at Emerald Lake
Attractions Near Emerald Lake
1. Avalanche Lake: Visit Avalanche Lake which is just 5 km from the Emerald lake. Take in the beauty of the breathtaking landscape profuse with colorful flowers. You can do photography, trekking, trout fishing, rafting, horse riding, open-jeep driving, camping and rappelling at Avalanche Lake.
The surroundings are also home to a variety of wild animals like leopards, tigers, sloth bears, sambar deer, gaur, Nilgiri langur, and barking deer. You can spot them if you are fortunate.
2. Pykara Lake and Waterfalls: It is one of the majestic and beautiful waterfalls to see in Ooty close to Emerald Lake. The Pykara Lake has been developed as a picturesque picnic spot with the inclusion of a boathouse as well as a restaurant.
You can also see Toda settlements surrounding Pykara, in their natural surroundings. See the gushing river with a dam as well as a power plant, which are one of the must-visit places round here.
3. Thunder World: It’s an amusement park just 47 minutes from Emerald Lake, Ooty also called Dinosaur Park. The theme park features sections such as the Vortex, Jurassic Jungle, and Haunted House. Visit the 5D Theater as well as the Camera Museum, the experience is both thrilling and scary.
You can explore the Jurassic Jungle and the Haunted House, studying the different dinosaur models and experiencing the world of eerie ghosts. When you are at the Vortex, you can take photos amidst three-dimensional paintings, which produces exciting illusions.
Things to do at Emerald Lake
There are numerous things to do when you are at the Emerald Dam. These are:
1. Photography: Take pictures of the verdant hills, open sky, and the blue water of the lake when you visit Emerald. The lake is a photographer’s paradise and therefore, you should capture the best shot in your camera lens.
2. Walk in the tea gardens: Take a leisurely stroll around the lush tea gardens when you visit the Emerald Lake. Take in the beauty of the tea plantations and learn how the tea leaves are processed for flavor. You can also taste the premium-quality tea while touring the tea estate.
3. Recreational Activities: If you are looking for some action or adventure, visit the Emerald Dam and drive to the Red Hill Nature Resort. to bring some excitement in their life. There are many opportunities for leisure sports and activities like trekking, nature walks, bird watching, fishing, and yoga.
4. Shopping tea products: Your trip to Emerald Lake is not complete without buying premium tea. Buy tea-leaves from the stores close to Emerald Dam. The tea sold here has a strong flavor, which you can buy from the shops or factories.
Other Essential Information About Emerald Lake
Location: Emerald Village, the Nilgiris, Ooty, Tamil Nadu, 623704, India
Timings: The timings are from 6 am to 5 pm throughout the week.
Entry fee: There is no entry fee at Emerald Lake, Ooty.Distance from Ooty City Centre: The distance is 19.8 km and it will take around 54 minutes via MDR 1071 to reach Emerald Lake.
Places to Eat in and Near Emerald Lake
1. Clifftop Restaurant
Places to Stay Near Emerald Lake
Travelers’ Tip before visiting Emerald Lake
2. Carry some food, water, and beverage when you are at Emerald Lake because there are no shacks or food stalls if you want to have some snacks and tea.
3. Avoid visiting during the monsoons because it is not safe. You cannot enjoy the scenic views when the weather is challenging.
4. Wear durable trekking shoes if you want to trek by the lake and surrounding areas.