About Kashid Beach
Just 125 kms outside of Mumbai and 33 kms from Alibaug, Kashid Beach is a popular tourist destination in Maharashtra. This remains one of the few beaches in the country that has not lost its beauty even with a high number of visitors. The clear blue water of the Arabian Sea, with white, sandy beach is perfect for a weekend getaway.
You can plan a picnic under the shade of the Casuarina trees that line the 3 km stretch or indulge in the many water sport options available at the beach.Whether you are a solo traveller, planning a weekend getaway with your partner or taking your family for a holiday, Kashid Beach has something for everyone. Go for long walks, enjoy horse riding, get an adrenaline rush with all the water sports, plan a night camp under the star-filled sky, or simply spend some quiet time with your significant other.
Surrounded by a varied landscape of water, rocks, and cliffs, and due to its proximity to Mumbai, Pune, and Alibaug, the place witnesses a large number of visitors all year round. Weekends may be completely booked so plan your holiday in advance and make the most out of your experience. There are also a number of staying, eating and shopping options close to the beach to cater to your every need.
How to Reach Kashid Beach
Due to its proximity to Mumbai, Pune and Alibaug, Kashid Beach is easily accessible by road from all these three places. If travelling from outside, Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (Mumbai) is the closest airport. From here, hire a cab to Alibaug to reach the beach. If taking the train, Roha and Panvel are the closest railway station.
If travelling during the non-monsoon season, you can also take a ferry from Gateway of India (Mumbai) to Alibaug from where frequent buses are available for the beach. You will also find regular local bus service from Mumbai and Pune to Kashid Beach.
Best Time to Visit Kashid Beach
Winter (October to February):
It is the best time to visit Kashid Beach. The weather is pleasant and you can enjoy all the activities available on the beach. If you are not looking for activities and simply a place to relax.
Monsoon (July to September):
It can be a good time to visit. Heavy rainfall with restrict outdoor activities. But the natural beauty of the beach will be at its highest.
Summers (March to June):
These are the harshest which is why these months witness the least number of visitors. If looking to avoid the crowds, plan a weekend getaway during these months.
What Not to Miss at Kashid Beach
Activities to do at Kashid Beach
The sunny, white beaches with clear blue water offer a number of activities to water sports junkies. Even if you are not into water sports, there are still things for you do at Kashid Beach, and most of these will not cost you a single penny. You may not see a lot of stalls on the beach but that only helps to maintain the beauty and cleanliness of the place. Prior booking for water sports is recommended. But even if you forget to make the booking, there are ample things to enjoy, either on your own or with family and friends.
1. Water Sports: Jet ski through the clean, cool Arabian Seawater or explore the many wonders of the underwater world and the coral reefs with scuba diving and snorkelling. You can also go parasailing and enjoy a bird’s eye view of the entire beach. If you are here in the non-monsoon months, go surfing
2. Picnic: If getting away from a hectic lifestyle, just laze out on a beach hammock. You can also pitch your tent on the cool sand and star gaze into the night. If travelling with friends, carry sports equipment like cricket kit or football. You can have a match right on the beach.
3. Treks & sightseeing: Kashid Beach is close to a number of other popular tourist spots. If you have some time on hand, trek to nearby tourist locations like Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary instead of taking the local transport. Or avail local transport and go sightseeing to other popular tourist spots surrounding Kashid Beach
4. Enjoy the beach: The beach itself provides enough ways of relaxing and spending time with your loved ones. Go for boat rides with family and friends, right in the middle of the sea. Or simply go swimming in your own time. You can also enjoy the expanse of the beach with horse riding and long walks
5. Shopping: The local market near the beach is the ideal place to purchase local produce and handicrafts. Don’t forget to buy souvenirs for friends back home.
Places to visit near Kashid Beach
Kashid Beach is a breath-taking destination. But it is also surrounded by a number of popular tourist destinations. Take a break from the beach and visit these nearby spots.
1. Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary: Ideal for nature lovers, this sanctuary is home to 148 types of birds, 90 species of butterflies, 710 species of plants, and a number of poisonous and non-poisonous snakes. On any given day, you can catch sight of leopards, hyena, barking deer, sambar, and the crested serpent eagle.Originally the private hunting area of the Siddhi Nawab of Janjira, this was converted into a sanctuary in 1986 to protect the coastal woodlands of Western Ghat.
2. Korlai Fort: Built in 1521 by the Portuguese, Korlai Fort provides a serene view of the Arabian Sea. Once the centre of a number of Maratha wars due to its strategic location, today the ruins are best visited if you want some peace and quiet, away from the crowd as it is surrounded by hills and trees. This is an ideal spot for photographers. And if you wait till the evening you can witness a breath-taking view of the setting sun.
3. Revdanda Beach & Fort: Another Portuguese fort, this was built in 1524 right on the Revdanda Beach. Today the entrance to the fort ruins is a short walk from the beach. Although a lesser-known tourist spot, the cannon holes in the fort wall are a major attraction.
4. Murud Janjira Fort & Beach: One of the most popular forts and tourist destinations of Maharashtra, Murud Janjira Fort was built in the 15th century by the Koli (fishermen) community to protect themselves from pirates. Situated on top of an oval-shaped rock, the fort is surrounded by the Arabian Sea on all sides and can be easily reached by a sailboat. Three gigantic cannons, that were feared for their shooting range, are its main attraction.
Other Essential Information About Kashid Beach
Location: The beach is located in Kashid area near Alibaug district (Maharashtra). It can easily be reached by road from Mumbai, Pune and Alibaug.Timing: Kashid beach is accessible 24 hours a day. But we recommend returning to your hotel before sunset unless you are camping on the beach.
Places to Stay near Kashid Beach
No matter what your budget, there are a number of stay options available for all types of travellers. From homestays to luxury hotels, choose as per your budget. Check out these hotels that are within an easy 5 kms from Kashid Beach.
1. Royal Villa: This villa-style resort is just a 2-minute walk from Kashid Beach. From dorm rooms to private suits, it accommodates all types of travellers. The deck on the terrace provides a gorgeous view of the sea.
2. O’Nest by the Beach: A luxury hotel close to the beach, O’Nest features a garden, a swimming pool and a terrace. Don’t miss their in-house restaurant that is known for its seafood. Private parking facility can be arranged at an additional cost.
3. Kashid Beach Resort: Located just off the Kashid Beach, this resort offers Spanish-style open villas with private lawns and backyard. If you want to spend time indoors, they also have a games & recreation room and a badminton court.
4. Manan Guest House: Ideal for unplanned, weekend getaways, this is a beautiful homestay. With just two rooms that are equipped with all modern amenities, they offer home-cooked vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals.
5. Sarve Huts: Located very close to Kashid Beach, Sarve Huts are best suited for family getaways or outings with large groups. This 5-room bungalow provides free parking, a swimming pool, a fitness centre, and an in-house restaurant.
6. Prakruti Resorts: An upscale resort, Prakruti Resorts is located on a secluded property surrounded by the forest. These 3 and 4-bedroom villas have their own gardens with hammocks and provide 24-hour room service, swimming pool, yoga centre, and an Ayurvedic Spa.
7. Kashid Boutique Resort: Private rooms with and without balcony and all modern amenities make this a popular place to stay. A mix of Assamese and Balinese architecture, the resort provides complete access to a swimming pool, a lounge area, and an in-house restaurant.
Places to Eat near Kashid Beach
Every hotel in Kashid has an in-house restaurant. But for days when you feel like stepping out to taste some local cuisine, check these options out.
1. Hotel Sanman: Perfect for Konkani delicacies, this hotel is run by the 2nd generation of the family. They continue to serve dishes made with authentic recipes. Do not miss their Crab Thali.
2. Patil Khanaval: Looking for some great seafood? Head to Patil Khanaval. They offer both indoor and outdoor seating and their Fish Thali is a must-try. All their food quantity is sufficient and the prices are affordable.
3. Bohemyan Blue Cafe: Right in nature’s lap, this rustic café offers Konkani, Mediterranean and Lebanese cuisines. They endorse organic farming and use organic products only.
4. Kiki’s Café & Deli: Located right on Mandwa beach, this colourful café offers continental cuisine with a Malwani twist. All their ingredients are locally sourced so be assured that you are getting fresh food.
5. Fulora: Another popular seafood restaurant, head to Hotel Fulora if you are craving Malvani food. Do not miss their tandoori fish.
6. Boardwalk by Flamboyante: This place offers both indoor and outdoor seating. Known for Asian and Mediterranean cuisines, this place is often full. We recommend advance booking.
Tips for Visiting Kashid Beach
When visiting Kashid Beach, be careful about the following:
1. The beach is crowded on the weekend. Weekdays are better to plan your visits.
2. Pay heed to all safety instructions.
3. Check the weather conditions before coming here.
4. Do not ignore any water-related restrictions implemented by the local authorities.
5. Carry your own beachwear and towel.
6. Carry your own medicines.
7. Only indulge in water sports that are safe for you.
8. Do not forget to inform your instructor about any medical conditions or restrictions.
9. Make prior booking for water activities.
10. Make prior bookings at hotels.
11. If this is your first time at a beach, make sure you have an experienced person with you.
12. If you do not know how to swim, make sure you enter the water only with a person who knows swimming.
13. Always carry some snacks and water with you.
14. Do not litter on the beach. Use a bag to carry the waste or drop it in a dustbin.