Commanding the Southwest region of India, Karnataka is one of the most culturally and naturally gifted destinations for exploring. And the Homestays in Karnataka’s different landscapes are a favoured kind of accommodation to spend the vacation at. Be it the sultry coastal towns of Mangalore, Karwar, Gokarna or the exhilarating hills of Madikeri and Chikmagalur.
All the Karnataka Homestays are unique to some characteristics and yet offer somewhat familiar experiences. This could also be because they resemble one’s own homes so much. Most of the properties like the Coffee Bean Homestay, Gitanjali Homestay, Shanti Kunj Homestay and more such are all run by local families, further strengthening the homely atmosphere.
Available in a wide price range, people of all budgets and expectations can get themselves a homestay experience and make the most of facilities like - traditional Malnad cuisine, outdoor activities, nature excursions, sightseeing and savour a few days of umpteen mollycoddle and relaxation.
People Also Ask About Homestays in Karnataka
Which are the best homestay in Karnataka waterfalls?
1. Makkithitta Homestay, Sakleshpur: This is an elegant homestay in Sakleshpur’s hills and lush pasture landscapes. Designed in traditional Malnad Style, this place is a great option for Karnataka Homestays for families and large groups for outings.
Affordable and well-equipped, Makkithitta offers its guests simple but comfortable accommodations that come in two variants - individual bedrooms and dorms, freshly prepared traditional meals, the chance to pounce on adventures and activities like bird watching, treks, swimming, campfire, sightseeing and more in the opulent surroundings with your loved ones.
Location: Hanbal P.O, Sakleshpur Taluk, Hassan District, Dornahalli, Karnataka 573165.
2. Mountain Valley Homestay, Chikmagalur: Set in the very act of nature, the Mountain Valley in Chikmagalur is among the best homestays in Karnataka to spend a nature retreat with family, friends or lovers. Deemed as a premium accommodation option in the hills, this place promises the authentic Indian, family-like experience for its guests.
There are bungalows and wooden cottages to lounge in, both of these offer magnificent views of the environs around. Besides this, there are outdoor activities arranged, such as - plantation walks and treks, cycling in the mountains trails, bonfire and evening entertainment, wildlife safaris and much more to keep everyone engaged.
Location: Golf Club Road, Allampura, Chikmagalur-577101, Karnataka.
3. Old Kent Homestay, Coorg: This Heritage Bungalow nestled in the heart of a lush and thriving coffee plantation dates back to the British Raj Era in India. What was once exclusive to the English aristocracy has now been renovated into a lovely homestay for one and all to savour.
Despite many modern additions and changes to give you the best of luxuries and comforts, the old-world and honest charm of the place has still been intact and can be seen, felt and lived throughout the vacation. From cottages as living spaces to vast lawns that sprout rare flora, to the delicious dining menu and many recreational experiences, you are in for a delight at Old Kent.
Location: Thaikappa Estate, Horror Post, Suntikoppa, Old Kent Estate Rd, Kodagu, Karnataka 571237.
4. Amara Homestay, Dandeli: Floored with the bounties of nature, Dandeli a small town in Karnataka is the go-to destination for nature lovers and people who want some time off away from the intrusions of the city. The Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary is the main highlight that is visited by flocks of tourists all year round.
And to keep the experience and thrill of wilderness going, they all choose to stay at Amara Homestay - one of the best homestays in Karnataka. This modest accommodation comes installed with all the essentials required for a good vacation along with a list of many outdoor activities so that Dandeli can be explored for all its charm.
Location: Chinchakhanda, Gund, Tq: Joida, Uttara Kannada, Karnataka 581325.
5. Gitanjali Homestays, Mysore: The Gitanjali Homestay was built over thirty years ago and started as a home-like lodging facility for about sixteen years. Run by the Achaiahs family, this place is probably unlike any and one of the best Karnataka Homestays.
Situated in the foothill of the Chamundi Hills in Mysore, this property is eccentric and beautiful to look at. The rooms that are spacious and elegant, a lawn thriving with flora, pet dogs of the owner to play with, and their offerings of special on and off-site activities are all the things that you and your companions on this stay can indulge in.
Location: Lalithadripura road (road diagonally opposite to Brigade Splendour), Mysuru, Karnataka.
6. Devigiri Homestay, Sakleshpur: Located at a distance of a few kilometres from the nearest town of Sakleshpur, the Devigiri Retreat is a plantation bungalow that is a family-run B&B service. Surrounded by the Malnad Western Ghats and its majestic verdure, this 40-year old homestay is one of the best homestays in Karnataka.
On the premises are two types of holiday homes - the Planters Bungalow and Hunters Lodge. You can choose either, depending on the kind of aesthetics and experience you want. Other than that, the place also provides delicious meals, necessary amenities and arrangement of activities for the guests.
Location: Heggadde Post, Sakleshpur, Taluk, Heggadde, Karnataka 573145.
7. Shanti Kunj Homestay, Chikmagalur: This is one of the best budget-friendly homestays in Karnataka. Situated on a 60 acres plantation, along the Bhadra River in the Chikmagalur region, Shanti Kunj despite its low rates can give any luxury stay facility a run for their money.
This expansive property is encircled by the verdant Western Ghats Range, setting up a scenic and soulful scenery for its guests. Perfect for families, couples and every other vacationer, you can enjoy all the important amenities, outdoor adventures and a stay in six different cottages - glasshouse, mud house, log house, tent house, areca cottage here.
Location: Honnekoppa, sangameshwarpet, Near Kadabagere Chikmagalur Dist Devdhana, Karnataka 577136.
8. Silver Brook Estate, Coorg: A coffee estate with a perennial brook flowing nearby, the setting for Silver Brook in Coorg is like no other. This estate homestay is the brainchild of a husband-wife duo who have the creatives and hospitality experience.
Bordering the property is more naturalness of the region that is home to indigenous wildlife, birds and flora. So, you and your loved ones can wake up in the plush rooms, to the sounds of the rustling trees and chirping birds. Not just that, one can also opt for outdoor activities like nature walks, plantation tours, bird watching etc. to fully appreciate their surroundings.
Location: Kadagadal Village, Madikeri, Coorg, KA, 571248.
9. Ocean Deck Beach Homestay, Karwar: This is Karwar’s first beach homestay and has been among the best stay facilities to book during your coastal escapade. Boasting of sea views, the Ocean Deck Homestay has the most relaxing holiday experience on offer for its guests.
Perfect for families as well as couples, there are Premium, Semi-Premium and Standard accommodations to choose from. Then there are several in-house and on the beach food outlets, water and adventure activities and much more worth enjoying here.
Location: Nakhuda Mohalla, DEVBAGH, Karwar, Karnataka 581352.
10. Misty Hills Homestay, Sakleshpur: The Misty Hills Homestay in Sakleshpur is perched amidst the picturesque landscapes of hill, grasslands and forests. This is a 4-bedroom bungalow that has deluxe interiors and amenities.
Besides the plush rooms, there is a common living area, a kitchen and a dining area. The surroundings are quaint and perfect for strolls and outdoor games. Treks and nature walks, sightseeing, camping etc. are available if you want to go around the area and better enjoy your vacation.
Location: Harapanahalli Village, Hassan District, Sakleshpur, Karnataka 573134.
11. Robusta Valley Coffee Plantation Homestay, Chikmagalur: Located at an elevation of 3000 feet in Chikmagalur, the Robusta Valley stay is a plantation property that enjoys nature's best. There are lush gardens and the incessant wildlife that pays a visit to you during the stay.
This is one of the most favourite Homestays in Karnataka for the regional travellers to soothe and relax their body and mind. With lavish rooms and incredible dining facilities, a treehouse, campsite, indoor and outdoor activities, and more, your time here would be like a dream come true.
Location: Mallikarjuna Estate, Near Daradahalli Hand Post, Daradahalli Village,, Mudigere Taluk,Chikmagalur District., Bakki, Karnataka 577113.
12. Skylarc Homestay, Coorg: This is a peaceful homestay set in the plantation, hills and valley outlooks of Coorg. A pleasant destination for families, couples and groups, the Skylarc is among the best affordable Karnataka Homestays.
The property besides being equipped with all the essential provisions also has a swimming pool on the premises, which is quite rare to see at such stays in the region. The guests during their vacation can also request for outdoor activities and special arrangements like - bonfires.
Location: Sky Larc Estate, Ballamavati Village, Ballamavati, Coorg(Kodagu), Karnataka 571214.
13. Saffron Stays - Ocean Pearl, Mangalore: Situated on the Hejamady Beach in Mangalore, Saffron Stays is a gorgeous cottage bungalow fronting the bleached sand beach and turquoise sea.
The interiors, including the rooms and common areas, are all spacious and open with high ceilings. The balconies and porches that give guests a chance to sit outside and enjoy the views with a cup of tea or coffee. The staff at the stay is professional and compliant to all your vacation needs.
Location: Shree Mookambika Nivas, Hejamady Beach Road, near Veera Maruthi Temple, Karnataka 574103.
14. Mavalli Beach Heritage Home, Murudeshwar: A part of the coastal landscape of Murudehwar, the Mavalli Beach Home is among the best homestays in Karnataka. Situated right on the beach, the guests get to wake up to a clear and unbothered panorama of the Arabian Sea.
Other than the shore, many other local attractions are also nearby, making sightseeing a comfortable experience. Apart from that, the house, dating back ages still ensues the same charisma with the added benefits of renovations that provide modern comforts.
Location: Mavalli Beach Heritage Home, Murudeshwar Beach Road, Mavalli-1, Hiredomi, Murdeshwar, Karnataka 581350.
Which are the best coffee plantation homestays in Karnataka?
1. Robusta Valley Coffee Plantation Homestay, Chikmagalur: Located in Mudigere, the Robusta Valley is one of the foremost Homestays in Karnataka’s Chikmagalur district. Set amidst the luscious hills and aromatic coffee gardens, this place is the destination where you can relax and unwind and also indulge yourself in nature-themed activities like - treks, bird watching, plantation walks, picnics etc.
2. Java Hill Estate, Coorg: Coorg is one of the places in Karnataka with the most coffee plantation estates and homestays. And Java Hill is one of the topmost lodgings to spend a relaxing weekend amidst nature. Besides all the essential amenities, one can also enjoy nature walks, treks, birding, bonfires and more here.
3. Old Kent Estate, Coorg: This is among the best Karnataka Homestays set in the verdant plantation hills of Coorg. The Old Kent offers an expansive estate to explore and a rustic bungalow to lounge in without any intrusion. To make the vacation even better, there are facilities like spa sessions, games and special outdoor activities arranged.
4. Misty Hills Homestays, Sakleshpur: With modest spending, one can enjoy their stay at one of the best coffee plantation Homestays in Karnataka. Spanning over 10 acres of a lush plantation, this accommodation is best liked for its tranquillity, views and comforting facilities like the home-cooked food, outdoor activities etc.
Which are the best homestays in Coorg?
1. Casa Coorg: Set in the middle of a plantation estate, the Casa Coorg is a hospitable and luxury honesty that offers some of the best views of the Virajpet district.
The stay is also located close to a golf course, so any enthusiasts can spend their time putting a ball or two. Other than that, this place, like all other accommodations offers all the elemental amenities to make you feel at home.
2. Kedakal Estate: This is a 1900s Colonial Bungalow that has been renovated by the host and turned into a lavish 3-bedroom honesty in Coorg.
Surrounded by a coffee plantation, this stay stands out among the rest for its unique offering of a jacuzzi and an outdoor swimming pool. Other than that, the place is located close to a rivulet and a forest which can be visited for a recreational outing where you can ride a quad bike and enjoy other activities.
3. Silver Brook Estate Homestay: This is one of the fewer eco-conscious Homestays in Karnataka, also the recipient of many awards for the amazing hospitality and service.
Situated amidst a spice and coffee estate, this stay overlooks a soothing-sounding brook that flows nearby. And to complement the beauties of nature, the property offers plenty of world-class amenities such as- freshly prepared Malnad cuisine, hammocks in the lawn, a library with interesting reads etc.
4. Honey Pot Homes: Situated in the middle of a 225 acres plantation, near Madikeri, the Honey Pot Homes is a cluster of 3 cottage stays built close to one another.
Each accommodation comes equipped with all the necessary amenities, and the rest of the property also has open walking areas, a dining facility, a kids playground etc. Moreover, the hosts of the stay also arrange outdoor activities such as engaging plantation tours.
Which are the best homestays in Chikmagalur?
1. Clover Leaf Homestay: This place is perfect for a small group to book entirely and enjoy their stay in a home away from home. The hosts of the Clover Leaf stay are the warmest and sweetest people who would make your requests come true. Surrounded by a lush valley, grasslands and misty air, this place is a scenic delight just as much it is for adventure and recreation.
2. Shanti Kunj Homestay: This is one of the best Homestays in Karnataka that is built along the Bhadra River. One can get a clear glimpse of the river and other natural sights in the region from their glasshouse or cottage accommodations. Other than that, guests can also opt to book outdoor and special activities during their stay and make it more exciting.
3. Thippanahalli Homestay: This homestay is a heritage bungalow set in the rolling hills of Chikmagalur. Situated on a vast and lush garden estate, this lodging facility is one of the best for couples.
There are spacious and private rooms that have large windows and balconies that offer views of the valley and plantation, a kitchen where the allocated cook prepared fresh Malnad dishes and open spaces to enjoy a calming stroll.
4. The Coffee Bean Homestay: Encompassed by the astounding Western Ghats of Chikmagalur, the Coffee Bean Homestay is one of the best heritage Karnataka Homestays to stay in.
The property is almost 100 years old and has been turned into a comfortable and elegant stay facility that provides a range of amenities and features including a library, kitchen and dining area, a patio overlooking fruits orchards and private balconies in each room.
Which are the best beachside homestays in Karnataka?
1. Emmanuel Beach House, Mangalore: This is a heritage house with antique pillars and carvings embellished in the architectural design. Situated close to the coast in Mangalore, this is among the best beachside Karnataka Homestays that offers premium hospitality and service such as - well-equipped kitchen, a verandah, garden, spacious rooms etc.
2. Nirvana Additi Beach Stay, Gokarna: This is a cottage-style accommodation situated right on the sandy beach, overlooking the Arabian Sea is among the most magnificent Karnataka Homestays. The property offers suite and dorm lodgings, dining, outdoor activities, access to the beach and amazing ambience in the midst of the tropical Gokarna landscape.
3. Malpe Seafront Cottage, Udupi: Positioned along the serene and gorgeous beachfront in Udupi, the Maple Seafront Cottage Stay is one of the luxury Homestays in Karnataka. A part of a franchise chain, this property is known for its excellent views, appreciable hospitality and a wide range of facilities like - a pool, spa, banquets, indoor and outdoor games area, dining and bar etc.
4. Ocean Deck Beach Homestay, Karwar: Offering something for all budgets and vacationers, the Ocean Deck Homestay on the Beach is an amazing place to spend your vacation. There are premium, semi-premium and standard facilities and accommodations to choose from, each having its own perks. Besides this, the place also has experience in arranging outdoor and water sports activities.
Which cities have the best homestay in Karnataka?
The Karnataka State in South India has many different cities and townships that display different landscapes and terrains of the region. Here are some of the best cities that have amazing Homestays in Karnataka:
1. Hills and Nature Retreat - There are several hill station and hamlets that present with the alluring landscape, views of the verdant hills, misty air and the opportunity to stay in the best plantation, heritage and nature Karnataka Homestays in places like:
- Sakleshpur - Hassan
- Madikeri - Coorg
2. Coastal Escape - The beachy and tropical face of Karnataka brings warmer temperatures and a different landscape consisting of soft sand, the Arabian Sea and the underwater ecosystem. Here you can stay in homes and bungalows that are either built on the beach or at a walking distance from it, in places like: