The mountain range of Himalayas is among the most popular destinations for adventure enthusiasts in European and American nations. With the rising popularity of offbeat travel and adventure activities, the popularity of Himalayas has also seen a notable growth over the past few years. Himalayas offer perfect terrains for adventure activities like hiking, camping, paragliding and river rafting. The popularity of Himalayas as an adventure hotspot is also attributed to popular treks like Everest Base Camp Trek and Annapurna Circuit Trek in Nepal and Stok Kangri Trek and Chadar Trek in India.
Thrillophilia, in collaboration with HeyHimalayas, recently undertook a research to study the travel trend of travelers from USA and UK who visited Himalayas during the period of 2012-2017. The research has resulted in a number of interesting findings.
Quick learnings from the study:
- The number of travellers from USA and UK who visited Himalayas has increased by 27.3% between 2012 and 2017.
- Hiking is the most preferred adventure activity in Himalayas as 26.4% of the total number of travelers who visited Himalayas during 2012-2017 indulged in hiking
- The highest number of travellers who visited Himalayas during 2012-2017 were from USA
- Everest Base Camp Trek in Nepal Himalayas was documented as the most popular Himalayan trek during the period as 21.4% of the total hikers chose it over other Himalayan treks
The following data of travelers from USA and UK has been collected through the research:
- 21.3% of the total travelers who traveled to Indian Himalayas during 2012-2017 were from USA, followed by 16.8% from UK.
- 22.6% of the total travelers who traveled to Nepalese Himalayas during 2012-2017 were from USA, followed by 17.2% from UK.
- 26.4% of the total travelers who visited Himalayas during 2012-2017 indulged in hiking while 9.2% preferred camping over other adventure activities
- Trekkers from USA accounted to 17.7% of the total hikers who visited Himalayas during the period of 2012-2017 while 15.8% were from UK
- Everest Base Camp Trek was the most popular trek during the period of 2012-2017 as 21.4% preferred it over other trekking options in Himalayas while Annapurna Circuit Trek held the second spot with 9.2%.
- 23.6% of the travelers who indulged in Everest Base Camp Trek during the period of 2012-2017 were from USA while travelers from UK accounted for 13.3% of the total numbers.