Book Tour and Activities on the Go!
The place is perfect for half a day trip. It takes around 5 hours to completely enjoy every part of the museum and it is the place worth visiting. Ever...
If you are in the lookout for some exploration and a little bit of fun, the Swiss Museum Of Transport is the perfect place for you. The guide there is ...
Are you a lover of trains, planes, automobiles, and other forms of transportation then this is the deal for you. Get a ticket to the Swiss museum of transport in Lucerne. The museum was opened in 1959 shows a large collection of the forms of transport.
About Swiss Museum of Transport Tickets:
Learn about the history and operating systems of all road, rail, water, and air-borne mobility, and even space travel transports at the Swiss Museum of transport. Interact with the 3,000+ displays and visit the Aviation hall where the high-tech simulators will give you the realistic feeling of flight. You can learn to fly an airplane or helicopter using the high-tech flight simulators.
Explore the history of flying machines with a large aerial photo collection. Get to know about the communication technology at the Media World.
Swiss Museum Of Transport Ticket options:
Ticket to Swiss Museum of transport and entrance ticket to Media World.
Ticket to Swiss Museum of transport, entrance ticket to Media World with a visit to Swiss chocolate adventure and access to the daily screenings/shows in the Filmtheatre and Planetarium.
The Swiss chocolate adventure in German, Chocolate tasting session by a Lindt master chocolatier and audio guide in French, Italian, English, Spanish, Korean, Mandarin, and Portuguese languages.
Museum Opening Hours: 10:00 am-05:00 pm
Swiss Museum of Transport, Lidostrasse 5, CH-6006 Lucerne
How to reach Swiss Museum Of Transport:
Write Your Story
Rated : 5.0
The place is perfect for half a day trip. It takes around 5 hours to completely enjoy every part of the museum and it is the place worth visiting. Everything about the museum is great, I mean the first thought in my head when I heard the museum was boring but the Swiss Museum Of Transport is completely opposite. There are a ton of fun activities to do and cars to admire.
Rated : 5.0
If you are in the lookout for some exploration and a little bit of fun, the Swiss Museum Of Transport is the perfect place for you. The guide there is very informed. I got in and enjoyed a number of rides and activities that are spread out in the area.
Rated : 5.0
Our kids had a lot of fun in the museum. I recommend it to everyone visiting beautiful Switzerland. One of the best experiences in the entire place is the cable car ride that is shaped in the form of chocolate.
Rated : 5.0
I took my child to the Swiss museum of transport and we enjoyed a lot there. Learned so many new things and the history of all transportation. Definitely recommended package.
Rated : 5.0
Entry in the museum was easy, and we got to learn a lot about transport. we even clicked photos with cool cars which were there. Great experience!
Rated : 4.0
We took a ton of pictures and explored a number of ancient and modern transportation vehicles. Overall, a fun place to visit.
The Swiss Museum of Transport is a home of all means of transports including ships, aircraft, steam engines, cars and outer space travelling vehicles as well. This museum narrates a story of the development of transport and mobility by road, water, rail, and outer space.
Spread over a huge area of 20,000 square meters, this places hold more than 3,000 automobile objects that tell the story of evolution and development of transport via the different medium of travel.
The main highlights of the museums are:
- Railways: A variety of steam and electric locomotives and railroad cars from several different areas of Switzerland over the past 150 years are being shown on more than a kilometer of track. There is a model railroad that shows trains working the Gotthard Pass.
- Road transportation: A display of various automobiles, engines, horse-drawn coaches, bicycles, and the evolution of automotive transport in Switzerland.
- Postal services: You will have an opportunity of exploring a mail-sorting center, an old postal coach, and a large stamp collection.
- Telecommunications: This part of the museum shows the evolution of telephones, radio, and television over the last 100+ years.
Air and space travel: You will get to see antique and modern airplanes, helicopters, Mercury and Gemini space capsules, and an Apollo spacesuit that was worn on the moon.
- Shipping: Here you will find water-related exhibits include model boats, restored lake steamers dating back to 1813, harbour dioramas, and more.
The museum was opened back in July 1959 on the shore of Lake Lucerne in the northern part of the city of Lucerne and has become the most popular museum of Switzerland. Apart from the automobiles, the museum also holds a big collection of artwork by Hans Erni, who was a famous local painter and sculptor.
This museum also gives us a glimpse of the evolution of tourism during all these years from 1959 till now. Swiss Museum of Transport Lucerne also have some other attractions like the planetarium, Swiss chocolate factory, a huge 1:20,000 scale aerial photograph of Switzerland, a large-format cinema, Cable cars, and food outlets.
The Swiss Museum of Transport gives you an opportunity to learn about the history of transport systems including road, rail, water, air and outer space. Since 1959, this museum is home of some oldest and rarest of transportation means like Dufax biplane (from 1910), rolling stock of Spanish bread roll railway (first Swiss railway company), The SBB Ae 8/14 (most powerful electric rail engine of the 1930s) and a huge satellite of 4.5 tonne named EURECA which returned from the space safely.
The Swiss Museum of Transport Tickets give you an exciting opportunity to do various other things like:
- Nautirama: Here you will undergo a 20-minute historical journey of navigation and tourism in Central Switzerland by exploring the saloon of a paddle streamer, figuring out the impact of industrialization on Lucerne region and experience a medieval shipwreck.
- Car Theatre: Here you get to choose from a wide range of cars that belongs to 150 years of mobility history. Here with just a click of a button you can choose your favourite car and get to see a detailed 3-D rotatable image of the car.
- Swiss Chocolate Adventure: It’s one a kind experience in Switzerland. Here you will experience a tour about discovery, provenance, manufacture, and transport of chocolate in around 20 minutes. This place is a treat for your taste-buds.
- Livemap Switzerland: It gives you a new “walk-on” experience on an aerial photograph of Switzerland.
You can discover all the cities, towns and villages from a totally different perspective. You also have the options of Aerial cableways, Hans Erni Museum of art and to learn about the tourism revolution in Switzerland in a different way.
The Verkehrshaus der Schweiz or Swiss Transport Museum, which literally means “Transportation House of Switzerland”. The Museum is located at a mere 30 minutes walking distance from the city center and is easily accessible via trains, boats, and trolleybus.
Museum’s precise location is: Verkehrshaus der Schweiz, Swiss Museum of Transport, Lidostrasse 5, CH-6006 Lucerne.
You can reach to the Swiss Transport Museum via the following ways:
- If travelling via Train, you need to catch a train from Lucerne Railway Station. Take S3 or Voralpen-Express which will take 8 minutes and you need to get off at stop Luzern Verkehrshaus.
- If you are travelling via Bus then you need to take bus number 6, 8 or 24 and get off at Verkehrshaus bus stop. From there take a walk for 3-4 minutes to the museum entrance.
- Now, if you are choosing Boat as your travel mode then take a boat from the ferry terminal at the main train station to the ferry terminal at Verkehrshaur-Lido.
- If you like to walk then take a walk along the lakeside promenade for about 30 minutes to reach the museum entrance.
When you are travelling via car then parking can be found along Lidostrasse and opposite the lakeside lido. There is the availability of 8 short-term parking bays (2 hrs), 4 disabled bays and 3 electric vehicle rapid charge points are provided in front of the museum.
The Swiss Museum of transport is a distance of 2 kilometers from Lucerne. This distance can be covered easily as there are plenty of transport options are available like Bus, Train, Tram, Ferry, Cab, etc.
- If you willing to travel via Bus then take line number 6 bus from Bahnhof, Luzern and get down at Verkehrshaus, Luzern. It will take merely 10 minutes and cost you around INR 150- INR 210.
- Travelling via Tram will consume 15 minutes of yours. First, take a tram number 8-Y from Luzern station and travel for 6-8 minutes to reach Verkehrshaus station. Then you need to take a 5-minutes walk to reach the museum entrance. The tram ride will cost you a little more than a bus ride.
- Travelling via Train will be comparatively expensive. You need to grab the Train number 3 from Luzern station to reach Verkehrshaus station. The ride will take 7 minutes and after that 5 minutes of walk till the Swiss Museum of Transport Lucerne. It will cost you around INR 650- INR 1300 for the total fare.
- The ferry can also be used to travel till Museum. First walk for around 4 minutes from Luzern station till Bahnhofquai and catch a ferry from there till Verkehrshaus Lido. Then from there you need to walk to another 200 meters (3 minutes) to reach the museum. The ferry will take around 20 minutes and cost around INR 500- INR 800.
- Taxis can be the most expensive and fastest mode to travel from Lucerne to Swiss Museum of Transport Lucerne. A cab can easily be found at Luzern station and will take only 4 minutes to reach the museum. This 2.9-kilometers cab ride will cost around INR 1400- INR 1800.
- If you are a brisk walker then you can also walk your way till the museum from the Lucerne station. It will take around 41 minutes to cover the same.
The Swiss Museum of transport is one of its kind in Switzerland and so it is the most popular museum in the city. The best time to make a visit is during the clear weather from the month of June till the month of September. The museum is open 365 days (even on public holidays) but the summer and winter timings may differ for different attractions inside the museum. The timings are like:
- For the museum and special exhibitions, the Summer time remains between 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. and the winter time is between 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- For the Verkehrshaus Shop, the Summer time varies from Monday– Friday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. and during Saturday – Sunday: 10 a.m. – 6.30 p.m. The winter time for Verkehrshaus Shop remains Monday –Friday: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Saturday – Sunday: 10 a.m. – 5.30 p.m.
- The Hans Erni Museum timings during Summer are between 11 a.m. – 6 p.m and during winter time it operates from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- The very famous Swiss Chocolate Adventure runs its ride between 10:20 a.m. and 11 a.m. onwards (varies from day to day).
There are a couple of food facilities available in the Museum of transport including Piccard Restaurant, Mercato restaurant and Film Theatre lounge. The Piccard is a waiter-service restaurant, Mercato is a self-service restaurant and Film Theatre is a restaurant cum lounge.
The Piccard is a formal restaurant that serves light and creative Swiss dishes. The restaurant opens daily and gives you an option to taste the range of wine on the terrace. It also offers a great view of the lake and mountains and the trees growing on the nearby lido lawn.
Piccard timings are: The Summer time remains between 11.30 a.m. – 3 p.m. (Monday to Friday), 11.30 a.m. – 6 p.m. (Saturday and Sunday). However, the Winter time is 11.30 a.m. – 3 p.m. (Monday to Friday), 11.30 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Saturday and Sunday).
The Mercato is a self-service restaurant with colourful tables and chairs inside. It gives you a variety of classic dishes and salads as well. This place offers a view of museum Arena and everything that happens there. Mercato timings are: The Summer time is between 8 a.m. – 6 p.m and Winter time 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Film theatre is a lounge where you can grab some quick snacks, coffee or a cold beverage after a busy day spent in the museum. This is a nice place to relax and timings remain the same as the museum’s timing.
You can visit any of these restaurants even without a ticket.
Some basic things are only required on your visit to Swiss Museum of Transport Lucerne Switzerland, including Water bottle, Sunglasses, Sunscreen lotion, Valid ID proof, and Lucerne Swiss Museum of Transport entrance ticket. In case you need to store some items than a paid locker facility is also available on the premises. You can also bring your own food during the summer to the Outside area or the picnic area.
Do note that the redemption of tickets is during the opening hours of the museum only and the booking voucher is valid for the specific day only.
The Swiss Museum of transport is spread across a huge area of 20,000 sq. meters and it will easily take you around 3 hours to cover the entire museum briefly. Also, the time may vary depending on the number of members in your group or if you are travelling solo.
The Museum is located on the shore of Lake Lucerne in the northern part of the city of Lucerne. The exact location is: Swiss Museum of Transport, Lidostrasse 5, CH-6006 Lucerne.
The Swiss Museum of Transport tickets cost is different as per the category of booking. The Swiss Museum of Transport tickets can be purchased for various categories like Individual, Groups, Members, Schools and Swiss travel pass holders.
The individual day pass price begins from INR 1,126 that includes admission to the Museum, a visit to the Swiss Chocolate Adventure and the Media World and the daily screenings/shows in the Filmtheatre and Planetarium.
Also, note that admission to the museum is free for young children under the age of 6 accompanied by their parents.
25000+ Pictures and Reviews on the platform.
Best Price Guarantee
We have a best price guarantee. If you get the same product anywhere else at a cheaper price and you inform us about the same on the same day of your booking, we will refund the difference of cost to you.
10000+ Tours and Activities
We have activities across 17 countries, across every category so that you never miss best things to do anywhere.
We are always able to support you so that you have a hassle free experience.