Book Tour and Activities on the Go!
Pick-Up & Drop
Trip Starting From: Kegalle
Trip Location: Kandy
About the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage Day Tour:
- You will be picked from your hotel at 8:00 am for a tour to Pinnawala elephant orphanage from Kandy where you can enjoy a daylong adventurous expedition.
- Spend a day amid the elephants and explore the largest home of wild Asian elephants in the world.
- Behold the large herds of captive elephants roaming around freely, bathing pleasingly, wading slowly, and cuddling each other affectionately.
- Relish the fun of watching calves playing with each other happily and rushing here and there aimlessly.
- Spend some moments among these elephants and experience the surreal bond between a human and an animal.
- Observe the elephants from the closest proximity and capture this breathtaking vista in your digital lens.
- Play with elephants, caress them, feed them, click snaps with them, and enjoy watching them bathe in a river.
- In your Kandy to Pinnawala elephant orphanage tour, you’ll also get a chance to learn how this orphanage caters elephants, provides them food, and treats the injured ones.
- Also, visit Royal Botanical Garden and witness a huge collection of orchids of numerous varieties. At 4:00 pm you will be drop off to your hotel
About the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage:
Witnessing a large herd of elephants is not a usual thing. So, if you want to make your day unusual by seeing plenty of elephants, visit Pinnawala elephant orphanage from Kandy. Being the largest home of captive elephants in the world, this orphanage has many wonders to throw your way. Pinnawala elephant orphanage is not just an orphanage but also a nursery and the captive breeding earth for the Asian elephants.
The institution was home to nearly 10,000 elephants in 2011. Since then, the number is increasing only. No wonder why it is because Pinnawala elephant orphanage does a lot for the orphaned elephants. Once you’re there, you yourself can see how institution cares, rescues, and treats the elephants.
In this elephant orphanage, you’ll get an opportunity to play with elephants and feed them. You can also delight in the herd of elephants wading, bathing, and cooling them off pleasantly in the riverside. Before finishing your tour, head to Kandy View Point and capture the breathtaking vista of the entire city from the high above. In the end, take a stroll in Royal Botanical Garden and admire the glory of nature.
Daily from 8:30am - 5:30pm
Write Your Story
Rated : 5.0
On the way to Kandy from Colombo take a visit to see the Elephants. If your timing is right you see them having a bath in the river then cross the road back to the orphanage where they are feed and roam the grounds They appear well cared for and are checked for illness and treated.
A physical ticket is not necessarily required for Pinnawala elephant orphanage day tour. You can present either your mobile voucher or a printed ticket. Please keep in mind that the ticket is valid only for that specific date and time. So, make sure you don’t miss the day.
Yes, it is completely safe to go Pinnawala elephant orphanage. There are not any dangerous animals in the orphanage. Even kids can roam around the orphanage without any worries. If you’re concerned about climate and landscape, they’re favorable too.
The tour from Kandy to Pinnawala elephant orphanage starts from 8:30 AM and winds up at 5:30 PM daily. You’ll be picked up in the morning and dropped back to your hotel in the evening.
Pinnawala elephant orphanage is an elephant institution, so elephant sighting is obviously the major activity here. You can see elephants naughtily playing, aimlessly roaming, leisurely relaxing, playfully cuddling, and pleasantly bathing. You can also learn a lot about elephants and the orphanage as well.
Moreover, you can take a stroll in Royal Botanical Garden and discover many new varieties of orchids. If you’re a nature lover, you can luxuriate in for some moments in the cradle of nature.
The package actually offers a visit from Kandy to Pinnawala elephant orphanage. So, it covers this place extensively. Furthermore, the package also includes a visit to Kandy View Point and Royal Botanical Garden.
Yes, of course. Children below 2 years don’t need any tickets for Kandy to Pinnawala elephant orphanage. However, they must not occupy a separate seat and their guardian must be with them all the time. And, children between the ages of 3-12 need child tickets.
Yes, you need to bring your ID card along with you. Else, you can’t enter elephant orphanage. You’ll need to present it at the entry gate itself.
No, smoking is strictly prohibited within the premises of Pinnawala elephant orphanage.
Yes, lunch is included in Pinnawala elephant orphanage package. You’ll also get bottled drinking water. However, you need to arrange your breakfast on your own before leaving your hotel.
Don’t worry. The package offers hassle-free transportation to Pinnawala elephant orphanage from Kandy. You’ll be picked up from the hotel and will be dropped back to the hotel. Air-conditioned cars and minivans are available for transportation.
You just need to reach Kandy. After that, the tour operators will handle everything.
No, you won’t get any snacks. Only lunch is included in the package. So, better, you carry some snacks along with you. It’s a day-long expedition, so you’ll need something to energize yourself from time to time.
Yes, you’ll be picked up and dropped off to your hotel. Just make sure to be at pick-up location on time.
The cost of a Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage tour that is inclusive of to and fro transfers from your hotel in Kandy, lunch, and Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage tickets is INR 1650 per adult and for child is INR 784. There are many packages available you can check out on Thrillophilia.
Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage has the largest herd of captive elephants in the world numbering around 96 elephants including 43 males and 68 females aging over three generations. The orphanage was founded in 1975 to take care of orphaned and unweaned elephants. The proceeds of the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage tickets goes towards conserving and rehabilitation of elephants.
- A visit to the Pinnawala elephant sanctuary which is home to the majestic Asian elephants. The elephants here are all rescues that were either orphaned or unweaned at birth. The Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage ticket price is different for locals, citizens of SAARC countries and the citizens of the rest of the world countries.
- A visit to the Pinnawala Open Zoo which is home to many endemic Srilankan animals like the purple faced leaf monkey, Sri Lankan leopard and animals like the wild boar and Asian elephant.
- A visit to the Iperanigama Theme Park which gives a glimpse of the traditional Srilankan way of living and culture. There are traditional artifacts depicting the culture of ancient Srilankan people and their way of life
Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage is at a distance of 40 Kms from Kandy. It takes around 1h 15 m to reach the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage from Kandy by road. There are many buses from Kandy to the junction before Keggale.
One can take a tuk-tuk from there to Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage. There is train access until Rambukkana and one will have to take a tuk-tuk or a cab from there to Pinnawala Elephant Sanctuary.
The inclusions in the package are :
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Transportation by air-conditioned car
- English speaking guide
- Bottled drinking water
- Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage tickets
- Garden entrance fee
- Elephant bathing and feeding
Srilanka is one of the countries with the highest population density of Asian elephants in the world. Srilanka is a country with lush green forests teeming with wildlife that is largely endemic to the island. In order to conserve the wildlife large areas of forests have been designated as national parks and protected by law to avoid human-animal conflict and prevent illegal hunting.
Here are some of the places where you can get to see these majestic creatures thrive in Srilanka :
- Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage
- Udawalawe National Park
- Yala National Park
- Minneriya National Park
- Kaudulla National Park
- Wilpattu National Park
- Gal Oya National Park
25000+ Pictures and Reviews on the platform.
Best Price Guarantee
We have a best price guarantee. If you get the same product anywhere else at a cheaper price and you inform us about the same on the same day of your booking, we will refund the difference of cost to you.
10000+ Tours and Activities
We have activities across 17 countries, across every category so that you never miss best things to do anywhere.
We are always able to support you so that you have a hassle free experience.