Roopkund Skeleton Lake Trek Highlights
- Roopkund Lake is a mystic beauty, you can actually see the human skeletons in the water and on the banks of the lake.
- Marvel at the stunning views of Roopkund Glacier, Trishul, Nandaghungti, and Choukhamba peaks.
- Gigantic mountains, mysterious lake and Himalayan vegetation is sure to make your journey all the more interesting.
- Surrounded by snow clad mountains the path is drenched in snow & laden with forest covers and verdant meadows
Roopkund Skeleton Lake Trek Overview
About the Roopkund Trek-
The Roopkund trek is an invigorating expedition from the high altitude region of Loharjung, in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand at 16499 ft. The trail for the trek that leads to the frozen Roopkund Lake also overlaps with the religious pilgrimage of Nanda Devi thus making this experience of trekking in Uttarakhand, an overall mix of culture and adventure. Going by legends, the ‘Mystery Lake’ is immersed and circled by hundreds of skeletons which is the major attraction of this trek.
At the top of the mysterious lake of Roopkund, witness, and marvel at the stunning views of Roopkund Glacier, Trishul, Nandaghungti, and Choukhamba peaks. Roopkund trail cuts through dense thickets and surpasses through the varied landscape of gushing waters and streams as well as charming lakes and vast expanse of lush grasslands.
Maximum Altitude: 16,499 ft.
Trek Grade: Moderate to Difficult
Total Trek Distance: 53 km
Temperature: May – June: day 15°C to 20° C and night 7°C to -2°C Sept-Oct: Day- 15°C to 10°C and night 5°C to -5°C
Best Time To Travel: May- June & September- October
Nearest Railway Station: Kathgodam Railway Station
Base Camp: Lohajung Base Camp
ATM: Last ATM is in Kathgodam
Start point/Endpoint: Kathgodam
How to reach Kathgodam:
By Air: The nearest airport to Kathgodam is the Pantnagar Airport located at a distance of 32kms from Kathgodam. The airport is connected with Delhi by 4 round flights per week. Taxis are easily available from the Airport to Kathgodam.
By Train: From Delhi take the Ranikhet Express (5014) Dep. Delhi at 10:40 pm arrival Kathgodam at 5:30 am (Overnight Journey)
or the Uttar sampark Kranti (5035) Dep. Delhi at 4:00 pm arrival Kathgodam at 10:40 pm (6 hrs. 40min. Journey)
From Dehardun take the Doon Express (4120) Dep. Dehardun at 10:30 pm arrival Kathgodam at 7:10 pm (8hrs. journey)
By Road: Buses to Kathgodam are easily available from ISBT Anand Vihar, Delhi. Regular buses ply from ISBT Delhi Anand Vihar station to Kathgodam. Buses that go to Nainital stops at Haldwani which is a twin town of Kathgodham (8 hrs. Journey).
Roopkund Trekking Inclusions:
1. Accommodation – Guest House stay on 1st and 5th night. You will be staying in tents for 3 nights of the trek (3 people/tent). The room/tent is separate for the male and female participants.
2. Meals – (Breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner). We provide simple, nutritious vegetarian food on all days of the trek
3. Camping charges – All trekking permits and forest camping charges are included.
4. Trekking equipment – High-quality tents and sleeping bags in all the camps. Sleeping bags can withstand temperatures as low as -10 ºC.
5. Safety equipment – First aid kit, oxygen cylinders, oximeter, etc. will be with guide/trek leader and at the campsite as well to deal with emergencies.
6. Expert trek Leaders – All our trek leaders are at least qualified in basic/advanced mountaineering and first aid course.
7. Expert Trek support team – The mountain staff on this trek consists of certified guides, cooks, helpers, and porters.
Roopkund Skeleton Lake Trek Itinerary
Select Package Option
More Details about Roopkund Skeleton Lake Trek
Know Before You Go for Roopkund Skeleton Lake Trek
- Climatic conditions in the high altitudes vary from the plains; take adequate time to get acclimatized to high altitudes.
- The management reserves all the right to modify the trek during any emergencies or natural calamities.
- Consult a physician before undertaking the trek. Carry basic medications and a first-aid kit during the trek.
- It is recommended to carry enough warm clothes and the right kind of shoes for the trek.
- Pay heed to the trek guides and instructors in order to enjoy a safe and sound trek
- Avoid consumption of alcohol or any other intoxicants during the trek.
- The trek takes place through an eco-friendly zone; do not encourage littering the local sites or campsites. Travelers littering may be fined.
- Do not encourage trekking during the night unless it is a part of the itinerary and a guide is with you; this might lead to unforeseen mishaps.
- Avoid using plastic bags and maintain the ecological balance of the destinations.
- Guidelines issued by the State-Government are to be followed. Social distancing to be maintained. Frequent hand sanitization and use of mask is recommended.
- Professional guide(s) are available to ensure high safety and more information and personal attention which are necessary to appreciate a trek.
- Any personal expenses, items of personal nature, meals not mentioned, etc. will not be in part of the package.
- Carry dry snacks/food from home (you will save a lot of money). Carry water bottles with you, so that you can refill.
- Keep your luggage minimum; the more you carry, the more you hassle.
- Please carry a valid ID proof.
- The exact location of the the starting point of the trek will be shared post booking.
Things To Carry for Roopkund Skeleton Lake Trek
- Warm clothes
- Toilet paper & wipes
- Back pack (50-60l)
- Water bottle
- Fleece jackets and thermals
- Hiking shoes
- Thermal inners
- Woollen cap, socks, mittens & scarf