Gangotri is combination of two words Ganga and Utri meaning Ganga descends.
The path follows the Ganges and leads to Gaumukh Galcier which is believed to be the originating point of Ganga. From here you trek to Tapovan which is considered to be the a great spot for trekkers due to this challenging and strenuous climb.
This district in garhwal region is small, beautifull and tucked away from the noisy city.
Above you, you will find mountains in the backdrop never leaving you and down below are meadows and forests sprawling the entire region.
Gangotri has a huge holy important for Indians and pilgrims.
Bhojbasa: It is located near Gaumukh, 5 km away from Chirbasa.
It lies in the Shivling Peak and is a cold, freezing, quaint little hamlet.
It provides an alternative destination for people who wish to stay here.
The uniqueness of this place is the glacier which changes color with sunlight.
How to get there
By Air: Located at 24 km from Rishikesh, Jolly Grant is the closest airport. Though, taking a flight to this place is not advisable.
By Road: Road network is well connected to all major towns of Uttaranchal and surrounding areas.
By Rail: Rishikesh is linked to all the major towns and cities of India. Some of the links are accessible only from Haridwar.
Best time to visit: Mid September to early July
- Dress warm when you are on altitude journey.
- You require moderate level of fitness to do this trek.
- The highest point here is Gangotri glacier which is at 4255 m.
- This trek requires good levels of fitness. It is recommended to undergo some sort of physical training before you set out for this trek.
- The highest point is Dodital at 3307 meters.
- Keep silence to enjoy the close proximity to the natural habitats.
- This trek is easy and doesnt require any physical training before you set out.
- Always carry boosters like juices, candies, chocolates and water bottle.
Things to Carry
- Walking stick
- Sleeping bag
- Hiking shoes
- Woolen clothes
- Water, juices, snacks
- Electric torch
- Medical kit
Uttarkashi: Located 99 km from Gangotri, this place is an important pilgrim center.
Placed at an elevation of 1150 m, this town is on the banks of river Bhagirathi.
If you come here you should not forget to visit the Vishwanath temple, Ekadash Rudra temple, Gyaneshwar temple and Kuteti Devi Temple.
The famous Nehru Institute of Mountaineering is also located here.