Dodital lake gets its name from the hundreds of trouts found in this lake. These trouts are referred to as 'dodi' by the locals living here. The lake is 3024 m above sea level and situated to the north of Uttarkashi. The waters of this lake are clear and cold whereas the forests here are full of rich flora and fauna. It passes through Hanuman Chatti which is also a place worth visiting. From here it moves on to Garhwal Himalayas in Yamunotri where Yamuna is believed to have originated. After crossing this spot we pass through lush meadows and forests before returning back on the trek.
Dodital: Situated at an elevation of 3307 meters this lake is situated near Darwa Bugyal; a high altitude pasture. The stillness of the lake soothe the insides and make you very. Dodital Trek has a serene effect on the mind and body. The ultimate destination on this trek is worth all the strains and tiredness from the previous days treks.
How to get there
By Air: Located at 24 km from Rishikesh, Jolly Grant is the closest airport. Though, taking a flight to this place is not advisable.
By Road: Road network is well connected to all major towns of Uttaranchal and surrounding areas.
By Rail: Rishikesh is linked to all the major towns and cities of India. Some of the links are accessible only from Haridwar.
Best time to visit: Mid September to early July
- Dress warm when you are on altitude journey.
- You require moderate level of fitness to do this trek.
- This trek requires moderate levels of fitness.
- Keep silence to enjoy the close proximity to the natural habitats.
- This trek requires you to be moderately healthy. You should make sure you do not suffer from any kind of high altitude sickness.
- This trek is easy and doesnt require any physical training before you set out.
- Always carry boosters like juices, candies, chocolates and water bottle.
- Learn some basics from guide.
- All the equipments are available for trekking.
- Avoid spoiling camping sites and the places around.
Things to Carry
- Walking stick
- Sleeping bag
- Hiking shoes
- Woolen clothes
- Water, juices, snacks
- Electric torch
- Medical kit
Rishikesh: Located 25 km from Haridwar, it is considered to be the gateway of Himalayas. The city has a holy importance and attracts millions of believers and seekers every year.
Haridwar: This place is the start point for the char dham yatra. It is also the commencement point of the rivers Ganga and Yamuna.
Image Source: Arindam-Mojumder, Harrystaab