Baralachala Chandertal trekking trail will take you through high country streams with incalculable streams flowing through green meadows. You climb up its originating point on the Baralachala, where it meets the Manali/Leh highway. The spotlight of the trek is Chandertal or Moon Lake, which looks out of league amidst the soaring peaks and dry splendor of Lahaul.
All long the trek you will be surrounded by lakes and passes. The flora enthusiasts and the nature lovers will have a wonderful opportunity to identify the hundreds of flowers growing everywhere. Chandertal is also hailed as Lake Of Moon. It is located on large meadows of Alwaiss between a lower ridge and the main Kunzum range with an outlet into Chandra River.
The trek of 5 to 6 hr. will lead to the camp during trekking you have to cross rivers name Topko Yangma. The Chandertal is a jewel of a lake, bounded by the Glaciers and High Summits. There lies 5100 m high Baralacha-La camp near a beautiful emerald lake Suraj Tal, source of River Bhaga, where the trek ends.
Trek Grade: Easy to moderate.
- Pin Parvati Pass is located at an altitude of 4802meters. It will take you to the lush green Parvati valley and to the stark and barren Pin valley. This pass traverses through dense pine forest and fields of wild flowers. Here you can visit Tabo monastery.
- Explore the most isolated valleys of Zanskar, which is 20km south of Rangdum. There is a Pazila watershed near this valley.
- Lahual and Spiti are the prime attractions. These are the places with lofty mountains and low valleys.
How to get there
By Air: Manali is our start point. The nearest airport for Manali is Bhuntar, 50 km (Approx.) from Manali. You can hire a cab from here to Lahaul or Spiti.
By Rail: The closest Railway Station for Manali is at Chandigarh (310 km.) and Ambala (355 km).
By Road: Board buses from Chandigarh which is accessible by air, road and rail from major cities. Buses take 14 hours to reach Manali which is 320 km from Chandigarh.
Best time to visit: Mid July to mid September
- Foreigners are required to take permission before trekking.
- A reasonable of fitness is required to scour these remote mountains.
- Do check your trekking gears for your safety.
- All the waste should be gathered and disposed off away from the camping site.
- Maximum height to be reached is 4845 meters.
Things to carry
- Walking stick
- Binoculars and camera
- Sleeping bag
- Hiking shoes
- Woolen clothes
- Water, juices, snacks
- Electric torch
- Medical kit
- A good compass
- An extra pair of clothes
- Spend time to visit to the picturesque Stok Palace and museum in noon.
- Explore Lahual Valley and cherish the beauty of surroundings.
- Visit Keylong city, which is 73 km from Lahual.
Image Source: Vardhan-harsh, Poupee97